BIG TAKEAWAY: Most of the topics are the same (APA took them out of one category and put them into a new category to be more specific). The percentage of exam questions pertaining to each major topic area has also changed accordingly.
- Areas of Practice 30%
- Plan Making and Implementation 30%
- Fundamental Planning Knowledge 25%
- AICP Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct 10%
- Leadership, Administration, and Management 5%
The new AICP Certification Examination Major Topic Areas and percentages are:
- Research and Assessment Methods (11%)
- Fundamental Planning Knowledge (15%)
- Communication and Interaction (13%)
- Plan and Policy Development (15%)
- Plan Implementation (12%)
- Administration and Management (6%)
- Leadership (6%)
- Areas of Practice (12%)
- AICP Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct (10%)
What was once broadly under Areas of Practice has now been subdivided to add Research and Assessment Methods.
Leadership, Administration, and Management was divided into (1) Leadership, and (2) Administration and Management.
Plan Making and Implementation became (1) Plan Implementation and (2) Plan and Policy Development.
The new category that wasn't explicitly factored into the old exam is Communication and Interaction.